On the 18th of March, DMC Forum hosted its virtual event: “Tipping in Digital Markets: When to intervene ex-ante and what are the principles for intervention”
The workshop explored the different nature of digital markets and the role of heterogenous consumer preferences and multihoming for platform dominance, and competition and policy implications by discussing the following issues:
- Which markets are subject to tipping? What evidence do we have?
- Under what circumstances/factors is the market more likely to tip for a platform?
- Is tipping the same as entrenchment?
- When is tipping harmful to consumers?
- When is “ex ante” intervention from regulators suitable? What are the criteria for establishing when intervention is needed and for determining the scope of such intervention?
Related articles and reports mentioned during the discussion
Kretschmer T., Leiponen A., Schilling M. & Vasudeva G. (2020). Platform ecosystems as metaorganizations: implications for platform strategies. Strateg. Manag. J. https:// doi.org/10.1002/smj.3250. In press